The Sentara Story
We improve health every day.
For 126 years, Sentara has been committed to helping those who want the most dedicated medical professionals helping them through every stage of life. Over the years, as Sentara has expanded its offerings in health care, it also has grown as an integrated health care system throughout Virginia, North Carolina and beyond. Now, Sentara operates more than 100 sites of care, including 12 acute care hospitals—seven in Hampton Roads (southeastern Virginia), one in Northern Virginia, two in the Blue Ridge region of Virginia, one in southern Virginia and one in North Carolina. In addition, Sentara extends health insurance to over 1.2 million people through its award-winning health plans, Optima Health in Virgina, with more than 30 years of experience, and AvMed in Florida, with more than 50 years of experience.
Sentara at a Glance
- 126-year not-for-profit mission
- 12 hospitals with 2,700+ beds
- 1.2 million member health plan
- 11 long-term care/assisted living centers
- 28,000+ members of the team
- 3,800+ provider medical staff
- 5 medical groups
- Extended stay hospital
- Sentara College of Health Sciences
- $4.7B total operating revenues
- $6.3B total assets
- AA/Aa2 bond ratings